It's not as odd as it sounds...

Prayer happens everywhere, even in the tanning bed.

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

A Curse?

I wondered if this would happen. When I started this blog, I felt only hours after my first post, that this was going to be a curse. My mind was racing with thoughts and ideas. Topics were whizzing by me like a Nascar race and I spent several evenings deeper in thought than conscience. Today, nothing. It's not that nothing happened, plenty happened. I managed to get through my Precept study on Romans feeling like I contributed something worthwhile. I discovered that Romans 7 isn't my favorite chapter. After all, when Chapters 8 and 9 are waiting for my total consumption, Romans 7 just seems to me like Paul trying to bang his head against a wall convincing regenerate Jews that the Law isn't going to save them. But then again, he doesn't think they should totally dismiss it either, he was very clear about that. Romans 7 seemed to me to be the pesky wait I have to endure after ordering my food. Now 8, that is an appetizer and 9 well, for me, that is going to be my medium-cooked steak straight from Ruth's Chris!

Then I raced to the elementary school library to help shelve books. I love doing that. I am not quite sure why. One reason may be because Mrs. Wilson, the librarian has the gift of encouragement. So do I. Problem is, I rarely find the ability to encourage myself, thus, Mrs. Wilson is vital to my ego. Thanks to her, I leave, every Wednesday, feeling like I did something so important that the school will go on another day just because I was there. Another reason I think I like it so much is that it's quiet - very quiet. And I like being able to do something that frankly, I can't screw up!

Then I left for my dentist appointment. I love the dentist. Well, I did until today. I am realizing that my teeth are aging as much as I am. My teeth are very important to me. I will never have dentures - I refuse. If I ever have to have my teeth pulled out they will replace each tooth with individual teeth shoved up in my gums that don't come out and look real. I don't care if it costs me my retirement account (well, Michael's retirement account, but then, I don't think he really wants me to have the ability to remove my teeth in front of him- it sort of takes the romance out of the relationship. Knowing him, he'll happily live in a car until we die if I keep my teeth in). But today, I about came out of my seat. I have sensitive teeth. AND I love iced tea. Sound like the two don't mix? Well let me assure you that I know of no greater pain than the intense scraping that goes on behind my lower front teeth to get the stains off. I had a short, very short, moment of insanity and almost verbalized my thought at that moment. "I promise to give up tea if you promise you will never scrape my teeth like that again!" But never fear (and I must emphasize this to my friend Pam) I quickly came to my senses and never let the words escape my very parched lips. My teeth are now beautifully cleaned and white. And my lips didn't stay parched very long as I had a Route 44 unsweet tea with extra ice waiting in the car for me when my appointment was over.

From there I went home ready to face the brood of vipers, er, I mean children waiting for me to arrive and vomit their list of demands, er, I mean loving inquiries of me before I whisked them off to church for Wednesday evening activities. As usual, the evening went uphill from there because for me, there are few places I'd rather be than at church. I had a wonderful evening, got home in time to get those two little ones off to bed and sit down with the two big ones and watch a few gory, TV shows about horrible people that do nasty things to other people and the detectives that catch them and put them away forever.

All-in-all, a perfectly wonderful day. The downside was that Michael got stuck in Chicago and didn't fly out in time to catch his connection in Charlotte. He's sleeping as we speak in an airport hotel with no clean clothes and some disposable hotel toothbrush. At least when I see him tomorrow, his breath with be minty fresh.... Oh, the silver lining... I knew I could find one!

Hmmm, I guess I really don't have writer's block!

No comments:

Post a Comment

These are just some thoughts from my heart. There's nothing gained by comments that aren't encouraging or edifying. It's not that I don't want you to share your thoughts but think through what you want to say before you say it. If it wouldn't encourage or entertain you, then it won't us either... If it will, then by all means, we want to read it!