It's not as odd as it sounds...

Prayer happens everywhere, even in the tanning bed.

Sunday, March 1, 2009

Can't afford NOT to tithe...

Please forgive me for not writing recently. It's been a hectic week and I've been scattered. My brain that is, not so much my house. Actually, it's been a blessing the way my house has been in order (thanks to the refi and flylady). It's funny how keeping my house in order has made my kids want to help make sure it stays that way. I think that they have found the peace that comes from an uncluttered home, bedroom, kitchen, etc. and aren't willing to cause it to return to chaos. It's been an interesting lesson in being an example. I haven't added anything to my occasional rants of "pick up your closet", or "make your bed", or "put those (add whatever is to your liking) away". And yet, just the other day the two little kids came to me and asked if they could clean their bathroom. Since that is their job anyway, I was delighted they WANTED to do that. Then they took my "control journal" (flybabies will understand what I mean) and looked up my routines for that day and started DOING MY JOBS! After I picked myself up off the hard, cold, tile floor, I gazed through my glassy eyes as they maneuvered around the furniture with the vacuum and swiffer duster. If only time could have been frozen.

Fast forward to tonight. In church tonight we celebrated a 95% success rate at the end of our capital (more like debt reduction) campaign at church. That is often unheard of and it deserved a celebration. But much was said about what our responsibilities are. I was aghast to find out that 57% of our congregation tithes nothing or what would be acceptable for poverty level giving. We aren't even close to being a poverty level congregation. And less than 20% of the congregation give more than 80% of the money to the church. As a deacon, Michael knew these figures and to say he was disappointed is an understatement.

We have been tithers almost from the beginning of our Christian walk. We understood quickly that everything we have is God's and He asks for almost nothing in return. Ultimately, how can we expect to be blessed when we don't obey? Of course, there are other areas of obedience but He asks for obedience in all areas of our walk. I have found it interesting that we are so secure in our eternal life, confidently believing that God's promise of heaven is ours because He says so when we commit our lives to Christ and accept Him as our Lord and Savior. That is HUGE! That is FOREVER we are talking about - that is the difference between heaven and hell. BUT we are soooo not believing that He really means what He says about our finances when we obey Him regarding tithes and offerings. I can't get my mind around that at all.

But as I wrestled with the figures I was hearing I looked over at the youth section, curious at how many of them were really listening. They needed to be because our biggest problem right now are the young marrieds that "just can't afford to tithe". (And it won't be long before the youth of today are the young marrieds of tomorrow.) That terrifies me. If they don't trust Him with their money how can they REALLY be trusting Him with their eternal life?

So, do my 18 and 15 year olds get this? They know we are faithful tithers and understand that we have parachurch organizations that we also give to monthly. We also support 3 little girls from different organizations overseas. But do they get how all this fits into their life? I am not sure. What I do know is they see us put that money into the plate every week. They are old enough to understand the figures being presented and have lived long enough to see their parent's commitment to tithing and more. They have their own envelopes and I remind them weekly to bring their tithes with them. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't but ultimately they have to choose to obey because the Holy Spirit convicts them not because their parents did it.



Here I would like to add that Megan was able to be released from the hospital in time to leave today for her Disney trip. Please pray that she stays well this week in order to enjoy fully her time there and that her time with her brothers and daddy are precious memories for them all.
Thanks for your prayers for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment

These are just some thoughts from my heart. There's nothing gained by comments that aren't encouraging or edifying. It's not that I don't want you to share your thoughts but think through what you want to say before you say it. If it wouldn't encourage or entertain you, then it won't us either... If it will, then by all means, we want to read it!