It's not as odd as it sounds...

Prayer happens everywhere, even in the tanning bed.

Friday, February 18, 2011

What I've learned fromThe Pioneer Woman, Teil drei

This is The Pioneer Woman,
but alas,
I am NOT the Pioneer Woman.
I picked up the cookbook again. I am trying to decide what to make first. Fully expecting that I will fail to get the kind of delightful response from my family that I am sure she gets from hers, I have to choose carefully.

While looking through the many pages of delicious offerings I came across one that had a picture of a young, handsome man next to a horse with a cowboy hat on. The title of the page was:

My Pesky Brother-in Law, Tim

I don't have a brother-in-law named Tim. Mine is named Scott, he is famous (see here) He doesn't wear a cowboy hat or hang out with horses. He wears scrubs and hangs out with women, many of them, all day long. He's an OBGYN. He's not even close to being pesky because he lives too far away. I would like him to be pesky, I would like him to be the peskiest brother-in-law ever because he lived right around the corner. Some would say that I only wanted Scott to live around the corner and be pesky because he'd bring his wife Sandy with him whom I absolutely A.D.O.R.E. 


This is Dr. Scott Farhart
He is famous.
Ok, some might be right but not totally. I wish he lived around the corner and was pesky because he and MJF deserve to live closer to each other. They only lived together for a short time when they were young and lived the majority of their teenage years apart. They would be good for each other. 


This is Joshua Scott.
He is almost as funny as
his uncle.
Having them around here would 
be good for my kids. Son #3 is named for his uncle Scott. He is just like his uncle. It's uncanny. The older Joshua Scott gets the more I see it. Joshua is hilarious. Scott is hilarious too. And Scott can be hilarious in only 1 sentence. My favorite emails are ones sent to me by Scott. I don't get them often and they usually come as a response to something I have said. Most often they have me laughing out loud. Joshua has me laughing out loud every day - really, every stinkin' day. 

Scott's got this incredible daughter named Jordan. She is the example every mom would want to have for her daughter. I feel, in some ways, Kate is missing out not having her older cousin Jordan to watch live out the life of a Godly woman in front of her face. I am missing out not having the example of HOW to guide my daughter into living a life of a Godly woman in front of MY face. 

Then there is Jared, their son, born only 6 weeks after our oldest son Drew. Jared and Drew could not lack similarities more than they do. I think the only thing they would agree on is their love for Jesus Christ. And yet something tells me they could have learned a lot from each other. Like his father Jared is hilarious. He has been gracious enough to let me be his friend on Facebook and it's all I can do to not comment on his status updates... I have been told by #2 son that there is nothing cool about that so I try to refrain. Still I wish we knew those incredible kids better. 

And to have Sandy closer would be more than I can imagine so I will not get myself worked up trying to imagine it. 

I am learning a lot from The Pioneer Woman, just paging through her cookbook has made me think about things that I have never spent even a minute pondering. I am so glad I pondered this though. What I have been reminded of is that we can't always have the people that make us happy nearby. But somehow, just knowing how much I wish they were nearby makes the little time I get with them all the more sweet. And even moreso, because we share Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior, we will be together, forever, in eternity.  

So, will we get mansions nearby? If so, will they get sick of US? Wow, I'd not thought about US being the pesky ones.... 


3 comments:

  1. Was it your intention to make a person weepy when reading your post today? I have those sames wishes about my brother, sis in law and nephews, parents. Awesome Karen....I look forward to your writings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey I get an honorable mention here too ('cos I wrote the article!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

These are just some thoughts from my heart. There's nothing gained by comments that aren't encouraging or edifying. It's not that I don't want you to share your thoughts but think through what you want to say before you say it. If it wouldn't encourage or entertain you, then it won't us either... If it will, then by all means, we want to read it!