It's not as odd as it sounds...

Prayer happens everywhere, even in the tanning bed.

Thursday, February 5, 2009

Woefully

I am woefully inadequate for what I'm about to teach on in my Bible Study on Friday. It's 11:30 Thursday night and I feel like the pastor that wants to teach on Acts but is determined to find a graceful way to skip over Acts chapter 2. It's not that I don't completely agree with what I'm teaching on it's just that so much of the success of what the book I'm using depends on is Christlike character. Not as much from the women I am teaching - their desire for that is apparent in that they are in my class. No, it's the ones they will interact with that it is dependent on. And I am sad to say that there's not a lot of that to be found these days. I could never teach on this topic to a secular audience. The unbelievable amount of selfishness could never be put aside long enough to apply what I was saying. Actually, I'd be booed off "the stage".

No, there won't be a stage on Friday morning. I am rearranging the room. This teaching time needs to be done sitting around tables close together. It needs a completely different atmosphere. I am about to ask women to trust God so completely that they wrap their "self-worth" in fancy paper with a big pink bow and hand it to God on a silver platter. With a smile on their face they will be expected to exclaim with glee "Here's all I am, all I stand for, all I'm worth. It's here for your pleasure, for your taking, to do with what you will. That is how much I trust YOU!"

It dawns on me that we were all supposed to do that the day we asked Christ to be our Lord and Savior. It also dawns on me that if I am at all struggling to ask these women to do that, that I question whether they've done that at all. Why is it that I am the one who has to confront them on this issue?

I am woefully inadequate... PRECISELY...

No comments:

Post a Comment

These are just some thoughts from my heart. There's nothing gained by comments that aren't encouraging or edifying. It's not that I don't want you to share your thoughts but think through what you want to say before you say it. If it wouldn't encourage or entertain you, then it won't us either... If it will, then by all means, we want to read it!